Information for transitioning students
If you transitioned from a CA, CMA or CGA legacy program, learn more about the transition guidelines for completing the CPA certification program.
The CPA profession has committed to ensuring that the education and experience you completed for a legacy designation will be recognized towards your CPA designation.
If you were enrolled in a CA, CMA or CGA legacy program but did not complete all your legacy program education requirements by September 2015, and were transitioned to the appropriate point in the CPA program, then after you complete the CPA program, you will become a CPA.
Transition student guidelines
Refer to the Transition Student Guidelines for the key CPA transition and requirement completion deadlines, as well as the consequences for not meeting these deadlines. Below are a few key deadlines:
- June 30, 2020: You must complete your degree by this date
- June 30, 2022: If you were unable to complete your legacy practical experience requirements (PER) by September 1, 2018 (August 31, 2018 in B.C.) you must complete the CPA PEP and the Common Final Examination (CFE) by this date.
- June 30, 2023: If you complete the CPA PEP and CFE by June 30, 2022, you must complete the CPA PER by this date to attain certification
- June 30, 2028: If you transitioned to CPA preparatory courses, you must complete them by June 30, 2022 and then transition to and complete the CPA PEP and the CFE by this date to maintain transition rights
- June 30, 2029: If you transitioned to CPA preparatory courses and then transitioned into and completed the CPA PEP and the CFE by June 30, 2028, you must complete the CPA PER by this date to maintain transition rights
Transitioning students and candidates in Quebec, contact CPA Québec for more information.