Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Keep building your knowledge and skills with this comprehensive course that guides you through key elements of financial management for the public sector.
Excellent financial managers are in high demand in the public sector, and there is a need for continuous skills growth in this complex area.
Get the essential skills to deepen your understanding of the public sector’s financial context, governance and accountability, resource management, planning, budgeting and costing, as well as performance management and measurement.
This course is developed in partnership with the Financial Management Institute of Canada (FMI). It features content created by experts in public sector financial management that reinforces learning with knowledge checks, assessments and case studies at the end of each module.
See the course outline for detailed learning objectives.
This course represents a portion of our Public Sector Certificate Program. If you are currently enrolled in that program, we do not recommend that you register for this stand-alone course.
However, upon completion, if you are interested in signing up for the Public Sector Certificate Program, you are eligible for advanced standing. To learn more, please contact Alyssa Hammerstrom.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
The Public Sector Context
• Being able to identify the public sector context from both a general and a financial management perspective• Being able to recognize the unique qualities and importance of financial management in the public sector• Being able to explain the delivery of public services and goods• Being able to describe the key competencies necessary for effective financial management in the public sector
Governance and Accountability
• Being able to identify the key areas critical to successful governance and accountability in the public sector• Knowing how to explain the attributes of governance and oversight• Being able to describe accountability and risk management in the public sector
Effective Resource Management
• Being able to explain resource management and how the financial professional can add value as a skillful resource manager• Knowing the nature and characteristics of effective resource management• Knowing how to use logic models• Being able to identify stakeholders, external monitoring, strategic reviews and reallocation
Planning, Budgeting and Costing
• Being able to explain the nature of planning and budgeting in the public sector, along with the most relevant topics• Knowing how to plan and budget in public sector finance• Being able to identify effective planning and budgeting techniques• Being able to explain costing and accounting and how they relate to budgeting• Knowing how to ensure the sustainability of programming through the budget process
Performance Management and Measurement
• Being able to recognize leading ways that performance can be managed and measured for optimal results• Knowing how to identify performance management and measurement in the public sector• Being able to explain performance improvement opportunities in the public sector• Being able to link performance management to financial management and describe the role of public sector financial professionals
Member Development and Support
View our complete coverage of the 2019 federal budget. We have tax highlights, an insightful federal budget analysis as well as video interviews with our experts.
Leading businesses are developing strategies to address the impacts of climate change on their operational and financial performance. Are you ready to respond? Attend these training programs to build professional capacity in your organization to adapt to climate change impacts.
May 22, 2019
Explore important emerging technologies in accounting, business and finance at this must-attend conference for senior leaders. Connect with peers, experts and pioneers on best-fit technology solutions for your clients or organization.