Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Keep building your knowledge and skills with this comprehensive course that guides you through key elements of financial management for the public sector.
Excellent financial managers are in high demand in the public sector, and there is a need for continuous skills growth in this complex area.
Get the essential skills to deepen your understanding of the public sector’s financial context, governance and accountability, resource management, planning, budgeting and costing, as well as performance management and measurement.
This course is developed in partnership with the Financial Management Institute of Canada (FMI). It features content created by experts in public sector financial management that reinforces learning with knowledge checks, assessments and case studies at the end of each module.
See the course outline for detailed learning objectives.
This course represents a portion of our Public Sector Certificate Program. If you are currently enrolled in that program, we do not recommend that you register for this stand-alone course.
However, upon completion, if you are interested in signing up for the Public Sector Certificate Program, you are eligible for advanced standing. To learn more, please contact Alyssa Hammerstrom.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
The Public Sector Context
• Being able to identify the public sector context from both a general and a financial management perspective• Being able to recognize the unique qualities and importance of financial management in the public sector• Being able to explain the delivery of public services and goods• Being able to describe the key competencies necessary for effective financial management in the public sector
Governance and Accountability
• Being able to identify the key areas critical to successful governance and accountability in the public sector• Knowing how to explain the attributes of governance and oversight• Being able to describe accountability and risk management in the public sector
Effective Resource Management
• Being able to explain resource management and how the financial professional can add value as a skillful resource manager• Knowing the nature and characteristics of effective resource management• Knowing how to use logic models• Being able to identify stakeholders, external monitoring, strategic reviews and reallocation
Planning, Budgeting and Costing
• Being able to explain the nature of planning and budgeting in the public sector, along with the most relevant topics• Knowing how to plan and budget in public sector finance• Being able to identify effective planning and budgeting techniques• Being able to explain costing and accounting and how they relate to budgeting• Knowing how to ensure the sustainability of programming through the budget process
Performance Management and Measurement
• Being able to recognize leading ways that performance can be managed and measured for optimal results• Knowing how to identify performance management and measurement in the public sector• Being able to explain performance improvement opportunities in the public sector• Being able to link performance management to financial management and describe the role of public sector financial professionals
Member Development and Support
Canada’s accounting and auditing standards boards have a lot going on. Make sure you stay up to date on changes and get involved in standards development through the boards’ webinars and events.
December 9, 2019
We’re living in an age of digital transformation – and companies need skilled leaders on boards and committees who are up to the challenge. Harness the opportunities that change can bring at this must-attend annual event.
February 10, 2020
Financial sustainability and digital disruption are influencing the future of NFPs. Be equipped to lead through complex change by attending Canada’s premiere event for not-for-profit leaders.