Canadian flag waving together with the flags of both England and Wales

Canadian CPAs seeking ICAEW CA designation

Learn about your eligibility to apply for membership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) under the reciprocal membership agreement (RMA).

Since November 1, 2018, an RMA has been in effect between all Canadian CPA bodies and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).

If you would like to view the RMA, please contact your provincial/regional CPA body.

Eligibility requirements for CPA members seeking the ICAEW CA credential

You are eligible for the ICAEW CA credential if you earned your CPA membership by completing the education, examination and experience requirements of either the:

  • legacy Canadian Chartered Accountants (CA) program 
  • legacy Canadian Certified General Accountants (CGA) program 
  • legacy Canadian Certified Management Accountants (CMA) program, or 
  • post-unification Canadian CPA program

If you obtained your CPA designation by virtue of completing the education, examination and experience requirements of the legacy CGA or CMA program, you must have completed two years of full-time or equivalent part-time, relevant post-qualifying experience that involved the use of accounting, attest, management advisory, financial advisory, tax, or consulting skills. This post-qualifying experience may be from employment in public practice, private industry, non-profit, or government. The Verification of Post Qualification Experience Certificate form will need to be completed and submitted to the ICAEW.


Canadian CPAs are not eligible under this agreement if they obtained their credential by qualifying under a reciprocal agreement (i.e. mutual recognition agreement or reciprocal membership agreement) with another professional accountancy organization. 

Pathway to the ICAEW CA credential for eligible Canadian CPA members

The ICAEW will grant membership to eligible Canadian CPAs without the need to complete any additional assessments or experience. Audit and other services requiring registration or licensure are not covered by this RMA. Visit the ICAEW website for more information on how to gain audit rights in United Kingdom.

Contact the ICAEW for information on the application process. The final decision on admission to membership shall rest with the ICAEW.

Continuing professional development (CPD)

Under this agreement, Canadian CPAs can satisfy CPD requirements either through their home CPA provincial/regional body or ICAEW, as both parties will recognize the standard CPD requirements of the other party as satisfying their own.