This International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) report provides a snapshot of the accountancy profession’s contribution to achieving a universal set of sustainability goals set by the UN.
The report features existing activities and initiatives within the profession that support the goals, and it poses questions for professional accountancy organizations and professional accountants to consider going forward.
The accounting profession’s eight sustainability goals:
- Quality education: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Gender equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Decent work and economic growth: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all.
- Industry, innovation, infrastructure: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization, and foster innovation.
- Responsible consumption and production: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns. Encourage companies to adopt sustainable practices and to integrate sustainability information into their reporting cycle.
- Climate action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Peace, justice and strong institutions: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all, and build effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Partnerships for the goals: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.