Jointly Presented By:
CPA Canada, KPMG Canada, and Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business (Executive Education)
|Location and date:|
In this course, you will learn to grow your skills in the use of data visualization techniques and strategies to identify what visuals best suit particular data sets and stakeholders. You will also put these concepts into practice by creating dashboards and applying best practices for data storytelling to inspire action.
This course is part of the Advanced Data Management Certificate Program (ADMCP). It can be taken individually or as a part of the full program.
You will learn:
- how to effectively tell the story of data through visualization (charts, graphs, etc.) and be able to tailor to your target audience
- how to present visual data in mobile, laptop, and desktop formats and use of different tools (Power BI, Tableau, etc.)
- how to add functionality and real-time metrics for interactive dashboards
- how to effectively communicate your data story to stakeholders with a focus on narrative, flow, and aesthetics
Prerequisites and requirements
Students are required to have previous data cleansing knowledge. This means that students should already be comfortable using a data analytic tool (such as Power Query or Power BI) to perform data cleansing as well as having basic statistics, visualization, and data modelling knowledge.
While our focus will be on the Microsoft suite of products, this program is designed to be tool agnostic. That means you can use your preferred tool, software and/or method to complete the activities. This is not a software tutorial program. It is expected that you have a good command of at least one tool.
For students who do not feel they have the required skills above, we recommend taking the Data preparation: Cleansing, modelling and dashboards course of the Data Management Foundations Certificate, or other introductory data cleansing courses or programs first.
The ADMCP is a facilitated program. Each core course is composed of six modules to be completed in six consecutive weeks, with one module of one course per week. To support your successful completion in the courses, a facilitator will be available each week during the designated six-week time frame to answer questions during a live Q&A or provide additional support in completing the weekly activities. Completion of course work and access to facilitators will only be available during the specified timeframes. The certificate of completion will be awarded once all module quizzes have been passed.
The next facilitated session for the course is August 14 – October 1, 2023.
*No facilitation the week of August 28, 2023.
Book your free consultation with our learning advisors!
For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors. They are here to understand your learning goals and help you meet them.
Pricing & registration
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
25 CPD hour(s)
Who should attend?
This program is for CPAs and non-CPAs and is targeted toward analysts to senior manager roles in accounting and finance.
Module 1 – Planning the Visual Data Story
• Defining Data Visualization
• Importance of Data Visualization
• Introduction to Data Stories
• Introduction to storytelling and the data visualization process
Module 2 – Data Visualization Process and Tools
• Planning for Visualization and why it’s required
• Processing for Visualization
• Introduction to Data Visualization Tools
• Which tool and visualization to use
Module 3 – Building Effective Charts, Graphs and Tables
• Chart Types and Applicability
• When to use which chart
• Leading Chart Building Practices
• Common Errors in Building Charts
Module 4 – Dashboard Design
• Dashboard Design Principles
• Common Errors in Dashboard Design
• Placement and Space Usage
• Mobile vs Laptop vs Web Design
• Access and Security Design
Module 5 – Interactive Dashboards
• Interactive Dashboarding
• Determining which interactivity method to utilize
• Introduction of immersive capabilities
• Performance and Ongoing Maintenance Considerations
Module 6 – Presenting the Data Story
• Preparing for the Presentation
• Narrative and Flow
• Dashboards vs Infographics
Frequently asked questions:
1. How long does it take to complete the course?
Individual courses are designed to be completed within six weeks following the format of one module per week through the facilitated sessions.
2. What are the technology requirements for the program?
The ADMCP is delivered by a platform called Canvas, an online learning management system used by Simon Fraser University. Access to Canvas requires a personal computer and internet. Further, to complete activities, it is recommended for students to have access to Microsoft Office. While the program is designed to be tool agnostic, the following lists the recommended programs and those required for some modules:
- Word and Excel: Can be used for all Courses. Power Query within Excel can be used to solve some activities in this course
- Power BI: Recommended for visualizations and data analysis
- Tableau (optional): Alternative program introduced for visualizations
As many work laptops prevent employees from installing non-work-related programs for security purposes, we recommend using your personal computer or getting approval ahead of time to be ready for this course.
3. Is there any financial assistance or grants available?
Additional options and pricing may be available. Grants and financial assistance may also be available. For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors.
4. Where can I find out more about the course and the program?
You can find out more information on the program homepage where you will find a section on frequently asked questions and additional program information. The PDF document includes information on the course structure, facilitated session format, technology requirements, prerequisites, how to prepare, and more.
You may also be interested in:
Do you have the knowledge and skills to lead in today’s digital-first world? Learn to analyze data, reduce risk and solve complex problems to further your career in this online program for CPAs in industry.
Enhance your skills with a conceptual, strategic and data-driven approach to accounting. This course is ideal for CPAs in industry but will also benefit professionals in audit, tax, finance and other areas.
Data is the underlying infrastructure that helps support analytical decision making. In this course, you will cover the important legal, regulatory and organizational requirements that manage risk and help facilitate best practices in data governance and privacy.
Member Development and Support
Email: [email protected]