Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Enhance your skills with a conceptual, strategic and data-driven approach to accounting. This course is ideal for CPAs in industry but will also benefit professionals in audit, tax, finance and other areas.
CPA Canada, KPMG Canada, and Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business (Executive Education)
In this course, you will learn about data analytics and how they can be applied to your work and improve organizational strategic insights. You will also study the fundamental concepts and considerations required to establish a data analytic framework for your organization, including key tools and techniques for the analysis and application of data in evidence-based decision making.
This course is part of the Advanced Data Management Certificate Program (ADMCP). It can be taken individually or as a part of the full program.
Students are required to have previous data cleansing knowledge. This means that students should already be comfortable using a data analytic tool (such as Power Query or Power BI) to perform data cleansing as well as having basic statistics, visualization, and data modelling knowledge.
While our focus will be on the Microsoft suite of products, this program is designed to be tool agnostic. That means you can use your preferred tool, software and/or method to complete the activities. This is not a software tutorial program. It is expected that you have a good command of at least one tool.
For students who do not feel they have the required skills above, we recommend taking the Data preparation: Cleansing, modelling and dashboards course of the Data Management Foundations Certificate, or other introductory data cleansing courses or programs first.
The ADMCP is a facilitated program. Each core course is composed of six modules to be completed in six consecutive weeks, with one module of one course per week. To support your successful completion in the courses, a facilitator will be available each week during the designated six-week time frame to answer questions during a live Q&A or provide additional support in completing the weekly activities. Completion of course work and access to facilitators will only be available during the specified timeframes. The certificate of completion will be awarded once all module quizzes have been passed.
The next facilitated session for the course is March 4, 2024 – April 14, 2024.
For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors. They are here to understand your learning goals and help you meet them.
Early bird discount: A 10 per cent early bird discount is available to anyone who purchases an ADMCP course between now and January 15, 2024. Just use ADMCP10 at checkout.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
This program is for CPAs and non-CPAs and is targeted toward analysts to senior manager roles in accounting and finance.
Module 1: Business Understanding
• Understanding big data terminology and define data analytics• Explain why data analytics are relevant for business decisions • Explain how data analytics are used by accountants• Identify the main data tools/software used by accountants and how/when they are applied• Understand the CRISP-DM and other data analytics frameworks• Apply the “business understanding” portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 2: Data Understanding: Needs and requirement identification
• Explain how data are organized in an accounting information system• Explain how data are stored in relational database• Understand basic data storage terminology• Explain the importance of data relevance and reliability • Understand and apply basic exploratory visualization• Apply the ‘data understanding’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 3: Data Preparation – cleansing and normalizing techniques
• Apply extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) techniques• Explain why ETL is necessary• Understand and address common ETL issues faced by accountants• Understand the various ETL tools available to (and used by) accountants• Apply the ‘data preparation’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 4: Data Analysis and Modelling Part I
• Understand the basic types of data analytics• Apply basic modelling techniques for accountants• Understand basic statistical concepts and terms• Apply the ‘modelling’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 5: Data Analysis and Modelling Part II
• Explain and apply the basic types of data analytics• Apply more advanced modelling techniques for accountants• Explain and apply basic statistical concepts and terms in an accounting environment• Continue to apply the ‘modelling’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 6: Evaluation, Validation and Presentation
• Explain the purpose of your data visualization• Identify the best visualization for your data set (and for your client)• Understand the common characteristics of ‘great’ visualizations• Apply the ‘evaluation, validation, presentation’ portion of the CRIPS-DM framework• Identify available resources to expand your understanding of ways in which data analytics can be applied by accountants
Individual courses are designed to be completed within six weeks following the format of one module per week through the facilitated sessions.
The ADMCP is delivered by a platform called Canvas, an online learning management system used by Simon Fraser University. Access to Canvas requires a personal computer and internet. Further, to complete activities, it is recommended for students to have access to Microsoft Office. While the program is designed to be tool agnostic, the following lists the recommended programs and those required for some modules:
As many work laptops prevent employees from installing non-work-related programs for security purposes, we recommend using your personal computer or getting approval ahead of time to be ready for this course.
Additional options and pricing may be available. Grants and financial assistance may also be available. For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors.
You can find out more information on the program homepage where you will find a section on frequently asked questions and additional program information. The PDF document includes information on the course structure, facilitated session format, technology requirements, prerequisites, how to prepare, and more.
The ability to tell a powerful story with data can take your organization to the next level. Learn how to communicate the right strategic message using the top dashboard tools and techniques for data visualization.
Data is changing the way businesses navigate risk and opportunity through periods of economic uncertainty. Harness the power of data and turn it into meaningful insights for strategic decision-making in this five-course online program.
Do you have the knowledge and skills to lead in today’s digital-first world? Learn to analyze data, reduce risk and solve complex problems to further your career in this online program for CPAs in industry.
Member Development and Support
Email: [email protected]
November 6, 2023
Join us this November for timely updates, cutting-edge information on new technology, and quality networking with other forensic accounting and valuation professionals.
November 13, 2023
Come and join hundreds of accounting and finance professionals who are committed to creating an inclusive and equal profession, just like you.
November 22, 2023
On November 21, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance released the federal government’s 2023 Fall Economic Statement (FES), which contained some new tax announcements along with an update on previously announced tax measures.