Jointly Presented By:
CPA Canada, KPMG Canada, and Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business (Executive Education)
|Location and date:|
In this course, you will learn about data analytics and how they can be applied to your work and improve organizational strategic insights. You will also study the fundamental concepts and considerations required to establish a data analytic framework for your organization, including key tools and techniques for the analysis and application of data in evidence-based decision making.
This course is part of the Advanced Data Management Certificate Program (ADMCP). It can be taken individually or as a part of the full program.
You will learn:
- an overview of useful data terminology, key data tools, concepts and software to be able to think about how these technologies and techniques can be applied
- strategies for effective data evaluation and validation to ensure the accuracy and quality of data
- how data analytics can be applied to your work and improve organizational strategic insights using CRISP-DM and other data analytics frameworks
- how to prepare data through cleansing and normalizing techniques such as ETL (extraction, transformation, and loading)
- how to analyze data and apply modelling techniques with basic statistical concepts to support decision-making for CPAs
Prerequisites and requirements
Students are required to have previous data cleansing knowledge. This means that students should already be comfortable using a data analytic tool (such as Power Query or Power BI) to perform data cleansing as well as having basic statistics, visualization, and data modelling knowledge.
While our focus will be on the Microsoft suite of products, this program is designed to be tool agnostic. That means you can use your preferred tool, software and/or method to complete the activities. This is not a software tutorial program. It is expected that you have a good command of at least one tool.
For students who do not feel they have the required skills above, we recommend taking the Data preparation: Cleansing, modelling and dashboards course of the Data Management Foundations Certificate, or other introductory data cleansing courses or programs first.
The ADMCP is a facilitated program. Each core course is composed of six modules to be completed in six consecutive weeks, with one module of one course per week. To support your successful completion in the courses, a facilitator will be available each week during the designated six-week time frame to answer questions during a live Q&A or provide additional support in completing the weekly activities. Completion of course work and access to facilitators will only be available during the specified timeframes. The certificate of completion will be awarded once all module quizzes have been passed.
The next facilitated session for the course is June 19 – July 30, 2023.
Book your free consultation with our learning advisors!
For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors. They are here to understand your learning goals and help you meet them.
Pricing & registration
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
25 CPD hour(s)
Who should attend?
This program is for CPAs and non-CPAs and is targeted toward analysts to senior manager roles in accounting and finance.
Module 1: Business Understanding
• Understanding big data terminology and define data analytics
• Explain why data analytics are relevant for business decisions
• Explain how data analytics are used by accountants
• Identify the main data tools/software used by accountants and how/when they are applied
• Understand the CRISP-DM and other data analytics frameworks
• Apply the “business understanding” portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 2: Data Understanding: Needs and requirement identification
• Explain how data are organized in an accounting information system
• Explain how data are stored in relational database
• Understand basic data storage terminology
• Explain the importance of data relevance and reliability
• Understand and apply basic exploratory visualization
• Apply the ‘data understanding’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 3: Data Preparation – cleansing and normalizing techniques
• Apply extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) techniques
• Explain why ETL is necessary
• Understand and address common ETL issues faced by accountants
• Understand the various ETL tools available to (and used by) accountants
• Apply the ‘data preparation’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 4: Data Analysis and Modelling Part I
• Understand the basic types of data analytics
• Apply basic modelling techniques for accountants
• Understand basic statistical concepts and terms
• Apply the ‘modelling’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 5: Data Analysis and Modelling Part II
• Explain and apply the basic types of data analytics
• Apply more advanced modelling techniques for accountants
• Explain and apply basic statistical concepts and terms in an accounting environment
• Continue to apply the ‘modelling’ portion of the CRISP-DM framework
Module 6: Evaluation, Validation and Presentation
• Explain the purpose of your data visualization
• Identify the best visualization for your data set (and for your client)
• Understand the common characteristics of ‘great’ visualizations
• Apply the ‘evaluation, validation, presentation’ portion of the CRIPS-DM framework
• Identify available resources to expand your understanding of ways in which data analytics can be applied by accountants
Frequently asked questions:
1. How long does it take to complete the course?
Individual courses are designed to be completed within six weeks following the format of one module per week through the facilitated sessions.
2. What are the technology requirements for the program?
The ADMCP is delivered by a platform called Canvas, an online learning management system used by Simon Fraser University. Access to Canvas requires a personal computer and internet. Further, to complete activities, it is recommended for students to have access to Microsoft Office. While the program is designed to be tool agnostic, the following lists the recommended programs and those required for some modules:
- Word and Excel: Can be used for all Courses. Power Query within Excel can be used to solve some activities in this course
- Power BI: Recommended for visualizations and data analysis
- Tableau (optional): Alternative program introduced for visualizations
As many work laptops prevent employees from installing non-work-related programs for security purposes, we recommend using your personal computer or getting approval ahead of time to be ready for this course.
3. Is there any financial assistance or grants available?
Additional options and pricing may be available. Grants and financial assistance may also be available. For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors.
4. Where can I find out more about the course and the program?
You can find out more information on the program homepage where you will find a section on frequently asked questions and additional program information. The PDF document includes information on the course structure, facilitated session format, technology requirements, prerequisites, how to prepare, and more.
You may also be interested in:
The ability to tell a powerful story with data can take your organization to the next level. Learn how to communicate the right strategic message using the top dashboard tools and techniques for data visualization.
Data is changing the way businesses navigate risk and opportunity through periods of economic uncertainty. Harness the power of data and turn it into meaningful insights for strategic decision-making in this five-course online program.
Do you have the knowledge and skills to lead in today’s digital-first world? Learn to analyze data, reduce risk and solve complex problems to further your career in this online program for CPAs in industry.
Member Development and Support
Email: [email protected]