Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Learn how to protect public sector organizations from cybersecurity threats in this online course, developed in partnership with FMI Canada.
CPA Canada and the Financial Management Institute of Canada
With privacy breaches on the rise in Canada, cybersecurity has become an important issue for public sector bodies that collect, use and disclose personal information.
This online course will help you build a strong cybersecurity governance framework, successfully navigate today’s most common cybersecurity threats, and learn how to better prevent attacks on your organization’s data.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
Module 1: The Canadian cybersecurity landscape
• An overview of the policy, regulatory and legal landscape for cybersecurity and privacy in Canada, including how it applies to public sector organizations• How organizations can make more informed decisions about cyber risks
Module 2: Best practices prior to a breach
• What goes into developing a cyber-preparedness plan• The risks a cyber-preparedness plan seeks to address• How to help your organization develop a cyber-preparedness plan
Module 3: Incident management
• The key steps to take when a cyber incident is suspected or discovered• How to advise your organization on the development of a customized cyber incident response plan
Module 4: Reporting and notification requirements under privacy law
• Privacy law as it applies to public sector organizations• What the reporting obligations are, in the event of a data or privacy breach
Module 5: Working with law enforcement
• The role of law enforcement in the context of a cyber incident• Methods for engaging with law enforcement in the event of a cyber incident
Module 6: Litigation exposure and cyber insurance
• The primary basis for litigation based on cyberattacks• Key legal cases related to cybersecurity and privacy breaches• What you need to know about cyber and privacy insurance
Module 7: Communications best practices for a cyberattack
• The value of developing a communications plan before a cyberattack happens• What to do during a cyberattack from a communications standpoint• How to conduct a communications assessment after a cyberattack
Member Development and Support
It’s said that a crisis brings out the best in people and, in most cases, that’s true. But there is a dark side to tough times, as fraudsters prey on people who are uncertain and looking for easy answers.
March 18, 2020
The federal government’s actions and fiscal support to address the widespread and devastating economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic are welcomed by Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada).
Listen to this special edition Practitioner’s Pulse webinar where we answer some frequently asked questions around practice management issues and some key financial reporting and auditing implications of COVID-19.