Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Learn how to protect public sector organizations from cybersecurity threats in this online course, developed in partnership with FMI Canada.
CPA Canada and the Financial Management Institute of Canada
With privacy breaches on the rise in Canada, cybersecurity has become an important issue for public sector bodies that collect, use and disclose personal information.
This online course will help you build a strong cybersecurity governance framework, successfully navigate today’s most common cybersecurity threats, and learn how to better prevent attacks on your organization’s data.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
Module 1: The Canadian cybersecurity landscape
• An overview of the policy, regulatory and legal landscape for cybersecurity and privacy in Canada, including how it applies to public sector organizations• How organizations can make more informed decisions about cyber risks
Module 2: Best practices prior to a breach
• What goes into developing a cyber-preparedness plan• The risks a cyber-preparedness plan seeks to address• How to help your organization develop a cyber-preparedness plan
Module 3: Incident management
• The key steps to take when a cyber incident is suspected or discovered• How to advise your organization on the development of a customized cyber incident response plan
Module 4: Reporting and notification requirements under privacy law
• Privacy law as it applies to public sector organizations• What the reporting obligations are, in the event of a data or privacy breach
Module 5: Working with law enforcement
• The role of law enforcement in the context of a cyber incident• Methods for engaging with law enforcement in the event of a cyber incident
Module 6: Litigation exposure and cyber insurance
• The primary basis for litigation based on cyberattacks• Key legal cases related to cybersecurity and privacy breaches• What you need to know about cyber and privacy insurance
Module 7: Communications best practices for a cyberattack
• The value of developing a communications plan before a cyberattack happens• What to do during a cyberattack from a communications standpoint• How to conduct a communications assessment after a cyberattack
Member Development and Support
Canada’s accounting and auditing standards boards have a lot going on. Make sure you stay up to date on changes and get involved in standards development through the boards’ webinars and events.
February 10, 2020
Financial sustainability and digital disruption are influencing the future of NFPs. Be equipped to lead through complex change by attending Canada’s premiere event for not-for-profit leaders.
May 25, 2020
Explore new technologies that are revolutionizing accounting and finance. Find out how you can take advantage of best-fit digital solutions and emerging business trends to work smarter, ignite growth and keep innovating.