Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Discover new strategies to optimize decision making and drive success as a CPA. Learn how to apply business intelligence methodologies, tools and processes that support effective reporting and cross-functional collaboration in your organization.
CPA Canada, KPMG Canada and Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business (Executive Education)
In this course you will receive a broad overview of the fundamental methods that comprise business intelligence (BI), while covering a tool-agnostic approach to data analysis. Learn how to support more effective decision-making across your organization by applying BI to data on projects across functions—from operations and finance to supply chain and marketing.
You will be able to explore data engineering and management, including the basics of querying languages. Learn to streamline your work using software automation, machine learning and AI for analytics reporting, all while continuing to enhance your strategic outlook on competition, knowledge management and more.
This course is part of the Advanced Data Management Certificate Program (ADMCP). It can be taken individually or as a part of the full program.
Students are required to have previous data cleansing knowledge. This means that students should already be comfortable using a data analytic tool (such as Power Query or Power BI) to perform data cleansing as well as having basic statistics, visualization, and data modelling knowledge.
While our focus will be on the Microsoft suite of products, this program is designed to be tool agnostic. That means you can use your preferred tool, software and/or method to complete the activities. This is not a software tutorial program. It is expected that you have a good command of at least one tool.
For students who do not feel they have the required skills above, we recommend taking the Data preparation: Cleansing, modelling and dashboards course of the Data Management Foundations Certificate, or other introductory data cleansing courses or programs first.
The ADMCP is a facilitated program. Each core course is composed of six modules to be completed in six consecutive weeks, with one module of one course per week. To support your successful completion in the courses, a facilitator will be available each week during the designated six-week time frame to answer questions during a live Q&A or provide additional support in completing the weekly activities. Completion of course work and access to facilitators will only be available during the specified timeframes. The certificate of completion will be awarded once all module quizzes have been passed.
The next facilitated session for the course is December 4, 2023 – January 28, 2024.*
*No facilitation the week of December 18 and December 25, 2023.
For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors. They are here to understand your learning goals and help you meet them.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
This program is for CPAs and non-CPAs and is targeted toward analysts to senior manager roles in accounting and finance.
Module 1 - Introduction to Business Intelligence
• Understand the basic concepts of BI and its various components• Explain how and why BI adds business value and aids in decision-making• Compare the different strategies and processes for managing BI projects• Indicate how to track, measure, and improve BI processes and projects in an organization
Module 2 - Data, Data Engineering & Management, Database Systems
• A fundamental view of data and the difference between data, information, and knowledge• Understand the concepts and terminologies used in Data Engineering and Data Management• Recognize the fundamental concepts of Database Systems and Database Architectures• Understand the basic concepts of Data Infrastructures and tools like Query Languages
Module 3 - Introduction to Business Analytics
• Learn the fundamental concepts of Business Analytics. • Understand the methodologies, tools, and techniques in Analytics and Data • Identify how to manipulate data into usable information and use analytics • Hands-on approach with simple examples in using query languages and software tools • Understand how domain knowledge and expertise are critical to developing metrics
Module 4 - BI Automation
• Understand the workflow of a BI process from data to analytics to reporting• Learn how to automate the BI process workflow through examples and simple exercises• Introduction to software tools for Automation like PowerBI• Learn best practices and use cases for automation of BI workflows
Module 5 - BI Powered Decision Making
• Learn how BI processes help in enterprise decision-making through case studies and exercises• How domain knowledge and expertise is critical to the success of cross-functional teams
Module 6 - A Gentle Introduction to the ML & AI Future of BI
• Learn the concepts and terms used in ML and AI• Understand the different elements and techniques in Machine Learning, including AI• Recognize how ML and AI improve BI processes• Study and identify use cases of ML and AI in businesses today. • Opportunities and Risks of using ML & AI in Business Intelligence for decision-making
Individual courses are designed to be completed within six weeks following the format of one module per week through the facilitated sessions.
The ADMCP is delivered by a platform called Canvas, an online learning management system used by Simon Fraser University. Access to Canvas requires a personal computer and internet. Further, to complete activities, it is recommended for students to have access to Microsoft Office. While the program is designed to be tool agnostic, the following lists the recommended programs and those required for some modules:
As many work laptops prevent employees from installing non-work-related programs for security purposes, we recommend using your personal computer or getting approval ahead of time to be ready for this course.
Additional options and pricing may be available. Grants and financial assistance may also be available. For a free consultation, contact our CPA Canada Learning Advisors.
You can find out more information on the program homepage where you will find a section on frequently asked questions and additional program information. The PDF document includes information on the course structure, facilitated session format, technology requirements, prerequisites, how to prepare, and more.
Enhance your skills with a conceptual, strategic and data-driven approach to accounting. This course is ideal for CPAs in industry but will also benefit professionals in audit, tax, finance and other areas.
Do you have the knowledge and skills to lead in today’s digital-first world? Learn to analyze data, reduce risk and solve complex problems to further your career in this online program for CPAs in industry.
Data is changing the way businesses navigate risk and opportunity through periods of economic uncertainty. Harness the power of data and turn it into meaningful insights for strategic decision-making in this five-course online program.
Member Development and Support
Email: [email protected]
This event has multiple dates and locations. See event details for more information.
Tune into this two-part webinar to learn about the rapidly evolving sustainability landscape. Hear about recent developments in sustainability reporting and assurance standards and regulatory requirements, and the implications and opportunities for CPAs.
October 17, 2023
If you work for a public sector body in accounting, finance or leadership, this is the event for you. Learn how to successfully navigate the unique challenges facing every level of government.
October 23, 2023
Learn about critical policy issues, legislation updates and other technical trends at Canada’s largest and longest-running indirect tax event. For 2023, we are offering options for in-person and virtual attendance.