Employment benefits project update and invitation to comment on deferral provisions
PSAB initiated the Employment Benefits project to:
- consider the major areas of differences between its standards that address employment benefits and equivalent standards issued by other standard setters
- address the accounting for benefit plans introduced in the public sector in recent years to share more risk between the employer/sponsor and plan members
The project’s first document — Invitation to Comment, Employment Benefits: Deferral Provisions in Sections PS 3250 and PS 3255 — is currently open for public comment.
You’ll hear directly from members of the Employment Benefits Task Force about this project and the Invitation to Comment document.
You will learn about:
- the three deferral provisions in Sections PS 3250, Retirement Benefits, and PS 3255, Post-employment Benefits, Compensated Absences and Termination Benefits
- the key components of actuarial gains and losses
- alternatives for recognizing actuarial gains and losses and considerations
- alternatives for valuation of plan assets