Carmen is a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA) and a certified director (ICD.D) from the University of Toronto Rotman Director Education Program.
Carmen has board experience with:
- Government of Canada Departmental Audit Committees:
- member, Statistics Canada; and formerly
- vice-chair, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (2012-2016) and Department of National Defence (2010-2014)
- Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario (member of the Board of Directors, chair of the Audit & Finance Committee, and member of the Risk Oversight Committee) – 2015-2019
- North York General Hospital (vice-chair of the Board of Governors, chair of the Audit & Finance Committee), 2010-2018.
Carmen is also a member of the Senior Advisory Panel to the Auditor General of Ontario. In addition, Carmen is program director for the Centre for Governance, Risk Management & Control Excellence at the Schulich Executive Education Centre at York University. She also previously lectured the risk management session for the Institute of Corporate Directors ICD.D program at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto (2016-2018).
Prior to her service on boards, Carmen was a partner with PwC (Global Risk Management Solutions) and founding managing director for Protiviti Canada. Her experience also includes controllership and planning positions with Crown Life Insurance, Royal Trust (now RBC Financial) and CIBC.