Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Discover the basic income tax implications of estates and trusts.
Trust law and tax law issues can be very complex. Our comprehensive online course provides you with an overview of the pertinent income tax implications of estates and trusts, with a special focus on personal trusts and federal income tax.
This course is based on the Income Tax Act effective as of April 21, 2016, and incorporates pending legislation announced up to and including that date.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
• Estates• Estate or trust accounting• Example of accounts of an estate
Definition of trust
• Types of trust under the Income Tax Act• Taxation of a trust
Disposition of property to a trust
• Attribution rules• 21-year deemed realization
Taxable capital gains/allowable capital losses
• Pension income• Investment income• Business income• Other income• Deductions
• Income payable• Taxation of beneficiaries• Taxable benefits
• Taxes payable• Non-resident beneficiaries
• Capital interest• Clearance certificates
• Henson trusts• Management trusts• Goods and services tax
Appendix A — Website referencesAppendix B — Checklist of duties of legal representativesAppendix C — Sample completed T3 return, schedules, and supplementaryAppendix D — Sample completed T3 return, schedules, and supplementaryAppendix E — Draft statement — Regulation 2800(1)
Learn how to complete income tax returns and minimize taxes payable for deceased taxpayers.
Member Development and Support
September 23, 2019
Canada’s dynamic, must-attend CPA event of the year is heading to Montréal with the theme of innovation for sustainability.
October 28, 2019
If you’re a senior financial professional in the public sector or work for a not-for-profit that follows PSAB standards, this annual event in the nation’s capital is the place to be.
November 7, 2019
Join CPA Canada’s Financial Literacy Program in Ottawa, our nation’s capital, as we look at the trends changing the economic landscape and how they will affect how Canadians manage their money.