Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Learn about a variety of structures your clients can use in long-term tax planning to ensure an effective transfer of business interest.
Many small businesses with one or only a few owner-managers or shareholders need your trusted advice about how to minimize tax if their organization’s ownership structure changes in the future.
This concentrates on Canadian-controlled private corporations (CCPCs) and resident Canadian individuals. Discover the common problems encountered by professional accountants in practice, whether advising proprietors, partners, small businesses, or a corporation and its shareholders.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
Estate planning and orderly succession
• The consequences of no business succession plan• Crystallization of the capital gains deduction • Crystallization, paid-up capital, and deemed dividend• Redemption of crystallized shares• Basic planning — Insurance• Modification for the lifetime capital gains deduction• The subsection 40(3.6) estate exception• 1998 Amendments
Estate planning and orderly succession: Estate freeze
• Estate freeze• Considering an estate freeze• How to choose suitable provisions for the preferred shares issued on the freeze
Income splitting and the attribution rules
• Income splitting: A non-business succession reason for freezing• The attribution rules
The use of trusts in tax planning
• What is a trust? • Discretionary trusts for holding shares• Taxation of trusts• Taxation of beneficiaries• The reversionary trust attribution rule• Establishing the structure• Miscellaneous advantages• Miscellaneous problems
Selected topics on business succession
• Reversing estate freezes• Miscellaneous matters
CPA Canada Professional Learning and Development Customer Service
September 18, 2017
Jointly presented by CPA Canada and CPA Ontario, The ONE is the must-attend, multi-track event of the year, designed for all CPAs who want to be at the top of their game.
Our Firm Directory allows you to search for Canadian CPA firms using our interactive map as well as other criteria.
April 10, 2017
You’re in the eye of the storm amid a swirl of slips, forms and receipts. Chart your way through tax-time turbulence with these updates and resources.