Please choose between the following three options for navigation.
Gain practical knowledge you can use to advise clients who are dealing with the short-term tax consequences of the sale of business ownership.
Business succession simply refers to passing the ownership of a business from one set of hands to another.
This course deals with the immediate or near-immediate sale of business assets or shares in a corporation where the disposal occurs in a single transaction or a group of transactions. It provides a practical overview of the tax consequences, with a focus on small businesses with one owner-manager or small groups of shareholders.
This course is based on the Income Tax Act effective as of April 21, 2016, and incorporates pending legislation announced up to and including that date.
Additional options and pricing may be available. See pricing and registration for more details.
Module 1: The purchase and sale of assets
• Non-depreciable capital property• Depreciable property• Eligible capital property• Inventory• Accounts receivable• Prepaid expenses• Allocation of purchase price• Putting the sale proceeds in the hands of the shareholder• Other matters
Module 2: Sale of shares, including the capital gains deduction
• Overview of a share sale• Overview of the lifetime capital gains deduction• Qualified small business corporation shares
Module 3: Subsection 55(2) - Intercorporate dividends and capital gains advoidance
• The application of subsection 55(2) • The paragraph 55(3)(a) exception• Purifications• Safe income stripping• Butterfly transactions• Knowing when subsection 55(2) applies
Module 4: Sale of shares and section 84.1
• Transferring shares to family members• Section 84.1• Sale to employees• Acquisition of control
Module 5: Financing and other considerations
• Interest deductibility• Instalment sales• Earnouts• Non-competition agreements• Other considerations on the purchase and sale of a business• Abbreviations
CPA Canada Professional Learning and Development Customer Service
July 17, 2017
As Canada celebrates its 150th anniversary, we take a look back at 10 accountants who changed the face of our profession.
Join our financial literacy volunteer program for CPA members.
September 18, 2017
Jointly presented by CPA Canada and CPA Ontario, The ONE is the must-attend, multi-track event of the year, designed for all CPAs who want to be at the top of their game.