Become a CPA, CA: Information for internationally trained accountants

If you are a member of an international accounting body that had a MRA or RMA with the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, you may be eligible to earn your Canadian credential by completing these steps.

Legacy agreements currently remain in place with the following international accounting bodies. The CPA Profession is currently in the process of reviewing all legacy agreements. The following legacy agreements will remain in place until the reassessments have been completed. If you are a qualified member in good standing of one of these bodies, complete the steps below to earn your Canadian designation:

  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia
  • L’institut des Reviseurs d’Enterprises de Belgique
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
  • Ordre des Experts Comptables de France
  • Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland
  • Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (CPC designation)
  • Nederland Instituut van Register Accountants
  • New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
  • The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants
  • AICPA and the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy in the U.S. exempt CAs in their respective province/territory from the requirements to pass the AICPA final exam
  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe


You can become a Canadian CPA, CA by performing the following steps:

  1. complete the International Candidate Application Form and International Experience Form and submit them to your provincial CPA body
  3. register with the provincial CPA body in which you currently or plan to reside
  5. meet the practical experience requirements
  7. complete the Chartered Accountant Reciprocity Professional Development course, within one or two years (depending on the requirements set by your provincial body)

If you would like to pursue the right to practice public accounting, you will need to write the CA Reciprocity Examination, and meet any other requirements set by the provincial body in which you are seeking membership.

For more detailed information, download the Process for members of international accounting bodies with MRAs and RMAs factsheet, and contact the provincial body in which you are seeking membership.


Jointly presented by CPA Canada and CPA Ontario, The ONE is the must-attend, multi-track event of the year, designed for all CPAs who want to be at the top of their game.

Our Firm Directory allows you to search for Canadian CPA firms using our interactive map as well as other criteria.

You’re in the eye of the storm amid a swirl of slips, forms and receipts. Chart your way through tax-time turbulence with these updates and resources.