Become a CPA, CA: Information for internationally trained accountants

If you are a member of an international accounting body that had an MRA or RMA with the legacy Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, you may be eligible to earn your Canadian credential by completing these steps.

The CPA profession has negotiated new mutual recognition agreements (MRAs) and reciprocal membership agreements (RMAs). The following legacy agreements will remain in place until reassessments have been completed. If you are a qualified member in good standing of the following body, complete the steps below to earn your Canadian designation:

  • L’institut des Reviseurs d’Enterprises de Belgique


You can become a Canadian CPA, CA by performing the following steps:

  1. complete the International Candidate Application Form and International Experience Form and submit them to your provincial CPA body
  3. register with the provincial CPA body in which you currently or plan to reside
  5. meet the practical experience requirements
  7. complete the Chartered Accountant Reciprocity Professional Development course, within one or two years (depending on the requirements set by your provincial body)

If you would like to pursue the right to practice public accounting, you will need to write the CA Reciprocity Examination, and meet any other requirements set by the provincial body in which you are seeking membership.

For more detailed information, download the Process for members of international accounting bodies with MRAs and RMAs factsheet, and contact the provincial body in which you are seeking membership.